The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship Programme (LExS) is open to exceptional non-EEA/non-EFTA students pursuing a full-time master’s degree at Leiden University.
About Leiden University
Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is one of the leading international research universities in Europe. The University has seven faculties and a campus in both Leiden and The Hague. Our motto is Praesidium Libertatis – Bastion of Freedom.
Leiden University is established in two cities: Leiden and The Hague.
The university and the city of Leiden have a close relationship. The university and the Leiden University Medical Centre play an important role as a local employer. Our striking buildings are scattered throughout the city and the students present determine the atmosphere to a large extent. Leiden University collaborates with various Leiden museums, which form the treasure chambers of science that Leiden scientists practice.
More recently, but just as important, is the presence of Leiden University on Campus The Hague, where all our faculties are represented. With our research and education we are closely aligned with the themes of the city of The Hague: peace, security and justice. In addition, with our education and research we seek to connect with politics and public administration, urban issues, and health and care.
Both cities are easily accessible by public transport. The university locations in both Leiden and The Hague are within walking or cycling distance of the station.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Leiden University
Host Institution(s): Leiden University
Scholarship Worth: Full Scholarship
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Masters Degree
Nationality: International Students
Eligibility Criteria | Leiden University Excellence Scholarship
To be qualified for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship, candidates must meet the criteria given below:
- Applicants for all Master’s programme at Leiden University – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA* nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional note for UK students below.
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
*EEA/EFTA: All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
- Students must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note that proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness
Additional note for UK students
As the UK is now a non-EEA country, students from the UK are now eligible to apply for the LExS. Note: this does not apply to applicants who were already living in The Netherlands and registered in their Dutch municipality’s BRP before 1 January 2021. More information on Brexit can be found in the Brexit dossier.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 3 awards:
• € 10.000 of the tuition fee
• € 15.000 of the tuition fee
• Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
How to Apply
To be considered for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University, you must first apply online. You must clearly indicate in your application that you want to apply for the LExS scholarship in the scholarship section and upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship.
The deadline for programmes starting in September is 1 February while programmes starting in February has a deadline of 1 October.